Technically, your Individual Tax Identification Number is pretty similar to an SSN. Both numbers serve as identification the IRS can use so you can file taxes. The key difference is your SSN can be used for other things your ITIN can only be used for filing and reporting taxes. However, it’s highly recommended that you send certified copies instead of originals. This is the best way to prevent your only copy from being lost in the mail. After all, the IRS has no control over the mailing system and many things can go wrong, unfortunately.
- There are several practical benefits to using a CAA to help navigate the ITIN application and renewal process.
- We recommend making a copy of your Form W-7 (along with all supporting documentation) before submitting your paperwork to the IRS.
- An ITIN will serve as your identification number for filing your taxes.
- Answers do not constitute written advice in response to a specific written request of the taxpayer within the meaning of section 6404(f) of the Internal Revenue Code.
- The original and certified documents will be returned to applicants using the mailing address on the application via postage paid standard U.S. mail within 60 days of receipt and processing of the Form W-7.
The IRS has a long list of documents or combinations of documents that can show your status and identity. A current passport would meet all these requirements and is the only document you can submit on its own. Acceptance Agents are entities (colleges, financial institutions, accounting firms, etc.) who are authorized by the IRS to assist applicants in obtaining ITINs. They review the applicant’s documentation and forward the completed Form W-7 to IRS for processing. ITIN holders must verify their identity through the video chat process and will need a valid email address, proof of ITIN, one primary document and one secondary document. You will receive a letter from the IRS assigning your tax identification number usually within seven weeks if you qualify for an ITIN and your application is complete.
If you are having difficulty now, it may be prudent to wait a few days. “You will have plenty of time to complete the FAFSA form,” according to the FSA Office. Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only. You can find out the documents that can be used to satisfy either requirement in the “Supporting Documentation Requirements” section here.
- If the foreign entity later becomes liable to file a U.S. tax return, the foreign entity should not apply for a new EIN, but should instead use the EIN it was first issued on all U.S. tax returns filed thereafter.
- As an independent organization within the IRS, the Taxpayer Advocate Service helps taxpayers resolve problems and recommends changes that will prevent problems.
- If an applicant cannot provide a tax return, then if they qualify for one of the five ITIN Exception Categories, they can use the supporting documentation from the category they qualify for instead of a tax return.
- The complete list of the “Reject Reason Codes” can be found on the Internal Revenue Manual here.
- To apply for an ITIN, you will need to mail a W-7 form to the IRS (Internal Revenue Service), along with documents that prove you are from another country.
This is generally satisfied with a certified copy of your passport. This is traditionally satisfied with a Federal Income Tax Return Form. ITIN number is also needed to open a personal bank account in the US if you don’t have an SSN.
How to Apply for ITIN
If you do not qualify for an SSN, you will need to apply for an ITIN. An ITIN will serve as your identification number for filing your taxes. With tax professionals and Certified Acceptance Agents (CAAs) nationwide, our offices are well-equipped to guide you through the ITIN application or ITIN renewal process.
How can I get an ITIN number quickly?
6c.) If you have a U.S. nonimmigrant visa, enter that information here. Please see the Form W-7 instructions for how to enter these details. • If box “h” is checked, then you must enter your reason for requesting the ITIN.
How to apply for an ITIN number
We respectfully and kindly REQUIRE all clients to be patient during this process. We will be sure to forward your ITIN to you as soon as we receive it. After you fill it out, you will receive a response back within the same day letting you know whether you qualify to apply for ITIN. No, you’re not legally allowed to apply for an ITIN if you have an SSN or are currently applying for an SSN.
If the answer is no, then you must apply for an ITIN number to file your taxes in the US. Non-resident aliens who do not qualify for an SSN need to apply for an ITIN number. Spouses and dependents of US citizens, and green card holders are also eligible for the identification number. Let’s say you’re working and earning money in the United States, but you don’t qualify for a Social Security Number (SSN). An ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, type of Tax ID or Taxpayer ID) will serve as your identification number for filing your tax returns.
They don’t entitle the taxpayer to Social Security benefits, stimulus payments, or other benefits. The Taxpayer Advocate Service is an independent organization within the IRS that helps taxpayers and protects taxpayers’ rights. If you qualify for our assistance, which is always free, we will do everything possible to help you.
You’ll be required to have the original document or certified copy with your application. The IRS has updated procedures that affect the Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) application process. Taxpayers and their representatives should review these changes, which are further explained in these frequently asked questions, before requesting an ITIN. – When someone who has US citizenship but has never lived in the US as an adult, including so-called Accidental Americans (born abroad to US parents), discover they need to file a US tax return.
You can mail the W-7 and documentation to the address in the Form W-7 Instructions. Bring it to your local IRS office, or use an acceptance agent (colleges, financial institutions, turbocash or accounting firms that are authorized by the IRS to assist applicants in obtaining ITINs). They’ll review the W-7 and documentation before sending it to the IRS.